What is a Photo Organizer, and How Can They Help You Untangle Your Photo Mess and Tackle Your Family History Projects?
We’ve all been there. And it feels overwhelming. There’s just something daunting about standing in front of a closet filled with dusty boxes of family photos, thinking, “where do I even begin!?” That’s when the guilt starts to take over. But don’t worry! You’re not the only one who has felt this way; we all have. That’s exactly why I became a professional photo organizer. Huh? A what? That’s right: I’m a professional photo organizer! Ok, so let’s start at the beginning. What is a photo organizer, and how can they help you untangle your photo mess and tackle your family history projects?
In my line of work, I often hear things like, “I can do this myself” or “I know I could do this, but I can’t motivate myself to get started!” Because many of us think we have the skills to complete a task, we feel guilty when the task doesn’t get finished. You may be thinking, “I should be able to get this done!” Or, you may feel embarrassed that you want to outsource the tasks to someone else. The first time I hired a housekeeper to help me tackle my mess, I felt so guilty. Yet the time I gained by not guilting myself into the role of housekeeper allowed me to make more memories with my family, and grow my small business.
Just like a messy house, a stack of dusty old photos can cause guilt and anxiety. Photos are something everyone has, but they’re often hidden or buried in boxes. But there’s an alternative – organizing photos so they can be displayed, viewed, and enjoyed! That’s where photo organizers come into the picture!
Now, you may be asking, “but what does a photo organizer actually DO?”
Simply put, photo organizers are professionals who a bring a detail-oriented, analytical mindset to your family photo archiving projects. Photo organizers guide their clients through the process of sorting, culling and managing photo collections. Whether you just need a simple system to sort and organize your photos, or a full-scale software implementation that archives a lifetime of photos, professional photo organizers can help. Our areas of expertise include sorting digital and analog photos, creating traditional and digital albums, digitizing analog family photos, converting old media into current formats, crafting gifts, implementing backup systems and conducting software training.
In addition, a photo organizer’s role is to motivate individuals and families to acknowledge the importance of saving their family photos. And often, we bring a sense of fun and relief to an otherwise daunting task! Besides, how can you truly assign a monetary value on your memories? So why not invest in help organizing, preserving and protecting them?
Here are four reasons why you should consider hiring a professional photo organizer:
1. You’re super busy. No matter who you are, or where you live, life is hectic. Regardless of your stage of life, everyone experiences demands on their time. Juggling work, family, errands, housekeeping, holidays, and even retirement projects can send even the most left-brained person into a tailspin. So it’s perfectly reasonable to feel like you need some professional help. Give yourself permission to outsource your photo archiving projects; it will be a relief.
2. You’re intimidated…and maybe even a bit scared!? The elephant just seems so huge and you don’t know where to start eating it. That old adage is so true for family photo organizing projects. Photo projects feel as huge as an elephant in your living room! Metaphorically, you may even be scared that eating such a large elephant will fill you up until you burst! That’s where professional photo organizers come into play. We can help identify a specific, easy-to-follow process that will be tailored to your unique photo needs.
3. You’re overwhelmed by too many options. Google “photo management” or “photo archiving” and you’ll get thousands and thousands of search results. And most of those results include tips and advice on software, best practices and cloud storage. Yikes, it’s enough to make even the most calm person’s head spin! There are just so many options or solutions out there. No wonder you feel confused! Which software or process is right for you and your personal photo library? Which tools can be customized to your collections? Plus, you may realize that you don’t want to risk losing or overwriting any of your priceless photos. After all, they are your memories. They cannot be replaced. That’s why professional photo organizers help their clients demystify the solutions and ascertain which one(s) is right for your needs.
4. You need someone to hold you accountable. This is the most important point. Just like hiring a fitness coach, engaging a professional photo organizer can hold you accountable to reaching your goals. And it’s tough to put a price on motivation. That’s why professional photo organizers pride themselves on inspiring and encouraging their clients. Don’t allow guilt or too many options paralyze you or keep you from taking action to preserve your memories.
How can you get started saving your photos?
- Visit our Resources Page and get our eBook and checklists.
- Reach out to us for a one-on-one session.
- Bonus – the Filing Fairies are giving a discount to anyone from the Save Family Photos community who purchases one of their eBooks. Here’s a link to their SHOP. Just enter FRIENDS when you check out and you’ll get a great discount.
About the Author: Mara Morrison
Organizing is something I have always loved. It is the way I think. It is who I am. I organize the pegs on the washing line and was even heckled during a speech at my own wedding because I gave the bridal party a run sheet and a checklist. With two decades of experience in various roles where I organized as a PA, and a stint as an event manager, I realised my skill set perfectly complemented my passion for family history. Together with my business partner, Jo, The Filing Fairies was created. The Filing Fairies and our APPO colleagues offer a wide-range of photo organization and photo management services. How much we are involved is totally up to you. Most of all, we love working with families to preserve priceless family history.
Carol Gomes says:
January 23, 2017 at 3:38 pm
A great look at a difficult task.
Save Family Photos The Photo Lover's Guide to RootsTech, the Biggest and Best Family History Conference in the World - Save Family Photos says:
February 4, 2017 at 3:39 am
[…] like me, you love photography, storytelling and family history. We are archivists, collectors, organizers, photographers, librarians, historians and genealogists. Above all, we are memory-keepers. We […]
Save Family Photos Who Else Wants Some Good News about those Boxes of Deteriorating Family Photos? - Save Family Photos says:
June 26, 2017 at 3:21 pm
[…] first thought that often comes to mind when we find family photos is, “how do I even begin to organize these?!” Feeling overwhelmed is normal; piles of old photos seem daunting. But they’re also […]
Save Family Photos How to Be a Good Steward of Family Stories: a Professional Archivist's Perspective on Estate Planning - Save Family Photos says:
September 18, 2017 at 7:40 pm
[…] no longer able to easily retrieve memories due to her illness, objects were suddenly left without stories and faces in photographs had no names to go with them. I worried I’d forget all the laughably long and unusual Southern […]